TO: The Provincial/ District Chairman
The Provincial/ District Offices for onward distribution to Clubs, Captains and Squad Leaders
Lifesaving Eastern Cape Club Chairman and Secretaries
CC: The President, Vice President and Members of the Management Board, Directors
ILS Sport Commission Secretary – Jelle Meintsma, General Manager and LSA Staff
Date: 20th March 2020
Further to the Circulars and Advisories on the COVID-19 pandemic, we call on all clubs to:
- Be aware of bathing restrictions in their respective municipalities. Beaches and Pools have been closed for bathing in eThekwini areas. While Pools have been closed in some other parts of the country, beaches may not be closed in other areas or for activities other than swimming.
- The expectation is that Duty Squads should be rostered as municipal lifeguards are still on duty. We advise that the squads are to be kept small. A minimal squad size is 4 with 3 being holders of a Lifeguard Award is the smallest squad to be allowed to perform duties.
- Every effort must be made to ensure that safety of duty members is maintained (Disposable latex gloves, masks, sanitizers , etc)
- Social Distancing must be applied as far as possible. As a general guide, all lifeguards should do their best to remain one meter away from each other and members of the public, to avoid physical contact where feasible.
- Lifeguards are encouraged to perform more frequent roving patrols.
- Lifeguards should take every precaution to avoid contact with members of the public, however if not possible due to an emergency, lifeguards are requested to use protective equipment.
- Lifeguards must practice good personal hygiene and routinely wash hands with soap and water.
- Club meetings and activities must ensure that such gatherings does not exceed the restrictions of being more than 100 persons.
- Where clubs operate bars or restaurants, they are to observe the guidance given by the Government with regards to patron numbers and alcohol sales and closing times.
We encourage clubs to print and display the posters and information on the Covid-19 Virus.
(No signature – electronic document)